Search This Blog

Sunday 19 November 2023

XMDV Radio


Live: From the bottom of the Marana Trench

XMDV is here! Previously created as a run of one off radio shows with your beloved hosts: Raymond D. Ozone and Anthony Tanner, it has been reborn as my newest audio vehicle.
Now broadcasting around the clock, XMDV Radio provides you with one-off William shows like: PDW, Broadcasting in the Aether, The rules of Blackjack 2 &c.

But how did this happen? And at no cost to myself?

The Setup

  1. Laptop running Debian 12
  2. Liquidsoap scripting language
  3. Icecast streaming server
  4. DuckDNS and Lets Encrypt to make it accessible
  5. Neocities client
The whole system is currently running on a 9 year old Asus laptop that I loving call "my servers".

I used to run it on a c201 chromebook, as one of the few -maybe only- users of CrawfishOS (fork of the esteemed -at least 5 users- PrawnOS). Long story short: computer was cursed. One day I tried to download docker and the WiFi driver deleted itself.
So I "upgraded" to the current machine.

The above setup list is complete, but it does not include the hundred of hours to understand and build each part of this pretty extensive system. This was my first real computer project, and I was starting with entirely no experience of Unix computers, networking, scripting, HTML, CSS &c.

The same machine also runs Break Glass and Climb onto Tracks, Spaceweather and the Utter News playout system.

The Content

XMDV draws on everything I've created that I feel is both fit for consumption and judgement, as well as fitting the station-sound (weird).
One of my favourite parts of it are the various idents and jingles, created by splicing together parts of speech from shows on the station.

Pretty much anything that's on the station is also on my Soundcloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment